Oct 27

BTT – Hardest Book (10/27)

btt button

What’s the hardest/most challenging book you’ve ever read? Was it worth the effort? Did you read it by choice or was it an assignment/obligation?

That would have to be “Great Expectations.”  I had to read it in class back in 9th grade and it was long, tedious, and agrevating.  Of course, I think most of the problem came for the fact we had to read out loud and everyone read a piece.

I don’t even enjoy listening to books on tape or CD so this, to me, was murder, lol.  Add in the fact that not everyone was the best at reading in front of a class… Yeah.

Mind you, one I finally got a chance to sit down and read it all on my own I found out that I actually liked the book.  I just wished that the reading aloud part was skipped, no matter why the teacher thought it a good idea.

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

• mary Ann Langan on October 27th, 2011 at 10:39 am

Yes, I remember Great Expectations.

here’s mine:

1. Thanks for visiting!

• Claire on October 27th, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I hated reading aloud in English class. Hands down the worst thing ever! Especially with classics *shudder*

My BTT is here if you’d like a look 🙂

1. I didn’t like reading out loud but did it… but some would talk to soft or stumble and while I have no problem with reading levels of others… I like to read at my own pace. I tend to not listen to audiobooks for this very reason .

• Marny on October 27th, 2011 at 12:41 pm

It’s funny what a difference it makes whether you read a book because you want to or because you have to.

1. Have to agree… when forced to read a book I tended to assume I would hate it, there by tainting the reading. Thankfully I got past it 🙂

• Kerri on October 27th, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Reading Great Expectations for school was the main reason why It took me so long to give any of Charles Dickens’ books a try again. But I finally did and it turns out that I liked him.

• Kirsten on October 27th, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Thanks for commenting on my blog/btt!

I never liked having to sit through class and listen to books being read aloud, either. Kudos to you for picking the book back up again later!

1. Never read this one, but understand what you’re saying, cause I don’t really like audiobooks.

Psique @ Book Travels

1. Glad to hear it… I usually get odd looks when I say I don’t do audiobooks, lol. Nice to know I’m not alone 🙂

• Katie on October 28th, 2011 at 5:07 am

Oh gosh, reading aloud in class was always a painful experience. It was so slow, no one ever knew how to pronounce things and I just wanted to get on and read the book properly myself! I’m glad you gave ‘Great Expectations’ a second chance though; of the Dickens that I’ve read it’s my favourite.

1. I have to agree, it was good… once I read it at my own pace and without the confused pronunciations, lol. I still have to deal with reading out loud but now it’s for a good reason (my little ones learning to read better 🙂 )

2. Ugh, yet another classic that I haven’t gotten to. Great Expectations has been sitting on my Kindle for awhile!

3. I love Dickens’ stories, but his writing can be a bit onerous. Still, the meat of his stories is wonderful.

1. Couldn’t have described it better! Thanks for the visit 🙂