Aug 25

BTT – History

Sometimes I feel like the only person I know who finds reading history fascinating. It’s so full of amazing-yet-true stories of people driven to the edge and how they reacted to it. I keep telling friends that a good history book (as opposed to some of those textbooks in school that are all lists and dates) does everything a good novel does–it grips you with real characters doing amazing things.

Am I REALLY the only person who feels this way? When is the last time you read a history book? Historical biography? You know, something that took place in the past but was REAL.

Not all history is boring but I’ve not ready any lately that wasn’t boring.  Now, a good historical romance might be nice! Smile But it’s hard to find, or at least I find it hard to find good, engaging true-history.  I used to though, being history was my other main passion in school… If you have any suggestions, I’m all ears. Winking smile

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

1. It is most important that you enjoy what you are reading. I have read a few historical biographies that read so much like a novel that it was pure pleasure, but I tend to read historical fiction that is based on real life events. Cane River by Lalita Tademy is a perfect example. I have read it many times and have just reviewed it. http://fivealarmbookreviews.com/2011/08/22/memorable-monday-cane-river-by-lalita-tademy/

1. I have to agree and thanks for the book suggestion! I love finding new lit treasures. 🙂

2. I could definitely go for historical romance. I used to read some historical fiction, but I’m mostly a paranormal/ fantasy kind of girl.

– April

3. Heey
    Thanks for stepping by! If you are looking for a nice historical fiction book go for ‘People of the Book’ by Geraldine Brooks (as I recommended in my post)! It’s really good, there’s romance, there’s everything you might need!
    Hope you have a great weekend,
    Juli @ Universe in Words

1. Thanks for the visit and idea. I love finding new books to read (like I don’t have enough to do already, lol)

🙂

• Sierra on August 25th, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I love historical-romance, but like you, I can never find any worth reading.
    History is one of my favorite subjects, but the non-fictional books are boring, at times (well…most of the time).
    😉
    Great answer!

• Claire on August 25th, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂 I agree with you about it being hard to find good historical romances. I’ve only found one that I really enjoyed. As a Londoner there’s nothing worse than reading a book that messes up the geography. Messing up history is even worse, especially as its usually easier to check.

• Vicki on August 25th, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I haven’t read many historical fiction. Mostly what I have read was Christian Historical Fiction.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

• FBT on August 25th, 2011 at 3:29 pm

The one book that ended with Franz Ferdinand being shot was some form of historical romance (I think). I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, but I think the fact that all I remember is FF being shot tells me that it wasn’t that great a book. I’m not big on romance novels…

• Kate on August 25th, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I love HF and HR! That’s how I get my history lately! I have a ton I could suggest, a few are on my website. Though, if you like the French Revolution, one of my favorites is ‘Annette Vallon’ by James Tipton!
    Here is my answer!

1. I will be using your list to add to mine, lol. Thanks for the visit and the book ideas.

• Niina C on August 25th, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I’d recommend any Kaari Utrio books you can find in english, but that is so rare these days. she’s a finnish historical romance writer extraordinare, of all her books “The Copper Bird” is the most entertaining! It’s actually three book series spanning over 50 years of the story of the people, it’s from 900’s to 1000’s I think.

1. Hey, thanks! I’ll definitely check it out. 🙂

• Meg @ A Bookish Affair on August 29th, 2011 at 10:30 am

There’s good non-fiction out there but it seems to be few and far between. You don’t want to feel like you’re reading a textbook!

4. The only stuff I can think of is the stuff my husband writes. He does it with wry humor.